Vincent J. McMahon (Vince Sr.) was born on this day in 1914, he would be 99 years old today. He is of course the Father of Vincent Kennedy McMahon and the founder of the WWE.
If you grew up watching professional wrestling in the mid- 80′s and 90′s like I did then you know that when summertime rolled around it meant it was time for The Great American Bash in the NWA/WCW and of course SummerSlam in the WWF. And on this date in 1985 the inaugural Great American Bash took place in Charlotte, NC (The Nature Boy’s hometown).
In Ric Flair’s autobiography, To Be The Man, he credited “The American Dream” the son of a plumber himself, Dusty Rhodes came up with the concept for The Great American Bash. The first one was held in one city on one night, but the following two years The Bash went on the road touring different cities.
That night Ole & Arn Anderson defended their NWA National Tag Team titles against Dick Slater & Buzz Sawyer, There was a tag team champions vs champions match as the NWA World Tag Team Champions Krusher Khruschev & Ivan Koloff fought the AWA World Tag Team Champions The Road Warriors, Magnum T.A. put his U.S. championship on the line against The Ugandan Giant Kamala, The NWA Championship was on the line as Ric Flair defended against Nikita Koloff, during this match a fan jumped in the ring and grabbed Nikita from behind. The main event of the night saw Dusty Rhodes capturing the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Tully Blanchard and also getting Blanchard’s valet at the time, Baby Doll, as his own valet for 30 days. Dusty talking about Tully and Baby Doll a few months before the Bash.
Other matches at the very first Bash was
- Jimmy Valiant VS. Paul Jones in a Dog Collar Match
- Manny Fernandez, Sam Houston & Buzz Tyler VS. Billy Graham, Konga the Barbarian & Abdullah the Butcher
- Ron Bass VS. Buddy Landel
The WWF’s In Your House pay per view continued with the 16th installment entitled Canadian Stampede. Two of the biggest rivalries going onto this event was between Bret Hart/Steve Austin and The Undertaker/Vader & Mankind/HHH.
The lineup for this event was as follows:
- The Godwins (Henry & Phineas) VS. The New Blackjacks (Windham & Bradshaw
- Mankind VS. Hunter Hearst Helmsley
- The Great Sasuke VS. Taka Michinoku
- The Undertaker VS. Vader w/Paul Bearer (WWF Heavyweight Championship Match)
- The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart & The British Bulldog VS. Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust & The Legion of Doom (Hawk & Animal)