On WWE website, they came out with a list of the 25 greatest nicknames in WWE history. I went through the list. I have to say I disagree with the list. The one that I disagree with the most is #1. So I’ll go through all 25 nicknames and give my opinion on them.
25. The Show Off, nickname of Dolph Ziggler – The nickname is fine. I think current fans know that the show off is Dolph Ziggler. So if you are going to have it on the list, 25 is a good spot.
24. The All-American American, nickname of Jack Swagger – When thinking of great WWE nicknames, I don’t think of this one. I know it’s Jack Swagger but I don’t think it belongs on this list.
23. The Beast from the East, nickname of Bam Bam Bigelow – This is a good nickname for Bam Bam Bigelow. I actually think it should be a little higher on the list.
22. The Rated R Superstar, nickname of Edge – I think this one is way to low. Edge as the Rated R Superstar is one of my top five favorite WWE wrestlers of all time, so maybe that’s why I think it is to low.
21. Glamazon, nickname of Beth Phoenix – For Divas nicknames, its probably one of the most recognizable. I, however, don’t think it should be higher than Beast from the East and Rated R Superstar.
20. The Ayatollah of Rock ‘ Rolla, nickname of Chris Jericho – Chris Jericho should be on this list. But is the Ayatollah of Rock ‘N’ Rolla a better nickname than Y2J? I think Y2J might be a better choice.
19. The Man that Gravity Forgot, nickname of Adrian Neville – While the nickname is fine, I don’t think it should be on this list. How can you put Adrian Neville over Edge and Chris Jericho. With a 50 year history, there has to be a better one to put on the list.
18. Samoan Bulldozer, nickname of Umaga – I think this described Umaga. A perfect nickname for Umaga. I think it belongs on the list. The 18th spot seems about right.
17. The Animal, nickname of Batista – You had to know this would be on the list. Say what you will about Batista, but as a former WWE and World Heavyweight Champion, he should be on the list. I don’t think it should be rated higher than the Rated R Superstar but that’s just my opinion.
16. The Funkasaurus, nickname of Brodus Clay – Let’s see, should this be higher than Edge, Chris Jericho, Bam Bam Bigelow, or even Umaga and Batista? Simple answer and that is no. I don’t know if I would have even put it on the list.
15. The World’s Strongest Man, nickname of Mark Henry – Mark Henry has had this nickname for almost his entire WWE career. This nickname should be on the list. Maybe a little to high, but it should be on here.
14. The Brain, nickname of Bobby Heenan – If you have read some of my previous articles or participated in an Open Thread on WNW, you’ll know I love Bobby Heenan. It could be the Brain or the Weasel and I would agree with it being on the list.
13. The Bad Guy, nickname of Razor Ramon – The Bad Guy is a great nickname. It didn’t matter is Razor Ramon was a good guy or a bad guy. Razor Ramon was the Bad Guy.
12. The Mouth of the South, nickname of Jimmy Hart – The Mouth of the South is a another perfect nickname. Jimmy Hart was born in Mississippi and loves to talk. I don’t know if I’d put it higher than Bobby Heenan’s though.
11. The Man of 1,000 Holds, nickname of Dean Malenko – Now die-hard wrestling fans might recognize this as Dean Malenko’s nickname. But I don’t know how many of the casual fan would. To be this high I think it should be recognized by the masses.
10. The Living Legend, nickname of Bruno Sammartino – Shouldn’t this be Larry Zbyszko? I joke, Bruno Sammartino is the Living Legend. One of the first WWE legends, this name fits him. It should be on the list.
9. The Bionic Redneck, nickname of Stone Cold Steve Austin – This should not be on the list. Now Stone Cold should have a nickname on this list but not the Bionic Redneck. The Stone Cold nickname should be the Texas Rattlesnake or just the Rattlesnake.
8. The Viper, nickname of Randy Orton – The Viper or the Legend Killer, which is a better nickname? I think it is a toss-up. He also goes by the Apex Predator but I would put the other two higher. I think the Rattlesnake is the better of the snake nicknames but it wasn’t even on the list.
7. The Dirtiest Player in the Game, nickname of Ric Flair – Ric Flair is a 16 time World Champion. He lived the gimmick of the Dirtiest Player in the Game. However, should it be on the list over the Nature Boy? I don’t consider Stone Cold a nickname for Steve Austin, it’s just part of his wrestling name. Is Nature Boy a nickname of Ric Flair or is it part of his wrestling name?
6. The King of Kings, nickname of Triple H – Triple H has three nicknames: King of Kings, the Game and the Cerebral Assassin. Triple H should be on this list. I think I may have gone with the Game, but the King of Kings works.
5. The Heartbreak Kid, nickname of Shawn Michaels – Some Brand Names become so common that they the take place of the common word. Do you ask for a Kleenex or a tissue? Is it a cotton swab or a Q-tip? I bring that up because is he more recognizable as Shawn Michaels or HBK. HBK belongs on this list.
4. The Deadman, nickname of the Undertaker – Undertaker is a WWE legend. He has had alot of nicknames: Deadman, Phenom, ABA, Big Evil and the Lord of Darkness. Truthfully, I never really cared for any that much. Should Undertaker be on this list, I guess. I’d put him lower though.
3. The Excellence of Execution, nickname of Bret “the Hitman” Hart – Bret Hart was a technical wrestler. So he executed moves with excellene. A fine entrance on this list.
2. The 8th Wonder of the World, nickname of Andre the Giant – I love this nickname. I think it should be number one. While in the 1933 movie King Kong, Kong is also called the 8th Wonder of the World, I still think it is Andre’s nickname.
1. The Champ, nickname of John Cena – The top spot should be reserved for a guy who you may also call by his nickname. How many WWE fans call John Cena the Champ? When talking about Shawn Michaels, I’ve called him HBK. When talking about Andre the Giant, I’ve called him the 8th Wonder of the World. When talking about John Cena, I don’t call him the Champ. A terrible choice for number one.
Omissions – Hulk Hogan the most recognizable name in wrestling history, should the Immortal or Hulkster be on the list? Also the Champ is number one but the People’s Champion doesn’t even make the list. The Rock also known as the Brahma Bull and the Great One, I can’t believe he didn’t make the list.
My top 5 would be 5. The Rated R Superstar 4. The Brain 3. The Texas Rattlesnake 2. Heartbreak Kid or HBK 1. the 8th Wonder or the World.
What makes a great nickname?
Do you know him as Triple H or the Game?
Is he Shawn Michaels or HBK?
The 8th Wonder of the World or Andre?
Find a nickname that is a perfect fit.
Does a nickname mean you made it?